This is likely our last quiet weekend in the Magic City all together. We decided to take in some new with a stop at the Perked Up Cafe during our morning walk. #PerkedUpCafeCharleroi
Read me first! Read me!
We followed that up dinner at the River House since they had Maryland Soft Shell Crab Sandwiches. Upon visiting the River House, Leslie opened up the question about street cars in Charleroi. RiverHouse Cafe Charleroi
This led to a movie night of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It was going to be a drive in theater back yard night however it was HOT so we stayed in with the AC on! Who_Framed_Roger_Rabbit.
In researching rail cars in Charleroi we found the following site.
Interesting pictures of where Reba and Crosby are currently walking.
Note that North Charleroi was Monessen Junction and the bridge had a troll.
Check out the old pictures from the LockView Station.
Hey does anybody know where Black Diamond was?
As far as food prep, here’s what we will pack for Les.
For the zucchini “linguini”:
2 zucchinis, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 chicken breast, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
For the creamy sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup chicken broth
½ cup Greek yogurt
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
½ teaspoon dried basil
1. Use a peeler to thinly slice zucchini into “linguini” noodles. Set aside in a bowl and mix with salt. Let sit for 20 minutes to draw moisture out of the noodles. Drain the zucchini with a clean dish cloth or paper towels.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add in chicken breast, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook until no longer pink. Add in zucchini noodles, cherry tomatoes, and dried basil. Cook for an additional minute and remove from heat. Set aside in a bowl.
3. Heat olive oil for for the creamy sauce in the skillet. Add in garlic cloves and cook for about 30 seconds. Add in chicken broth to cool skillet, and reduce heat to low. (This step is important: if skillet is too hot, the Greek yogurt will curdle, so allow it to cool down before adding it in).
4. Add in Greek yogurt, parmesan, and dried basil. Mix until well combined. Add in the chicken, zoodles, and tomato mixture. Mix together and then remove from heat.
5. Serve and garnish with fresh chopped basil (optional).
Even the simplest of suppers are easy enough on a busy night. This recipe is meant exactly for that! You can quickly throw this healthy casserole together, pop in the oven and get on with your night.
- If all you’ve got on hand is frozen broccoli, that’s no problem. You can sub it for fresh florets.
- Another great time-saver is to use a store-bought rotisserie chicken if you’re short on time.
Recipe: Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole
Cook time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1½ cups
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (10.5-ounce) can Campbell’s® Healthy Request® condensed cream of chicken soup
⅓ cup plain 0% Greek yogurt
¾ cup fat-free milk
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 (8.8-ounce) pouch Uncle Ben’s® Ready Rice® brown rice
1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (I like Sargento®)
¼ cup panko bread crumbs
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the broccoli and blanch for 1 to 2 minutes, until it is bright green. Remove the broccoli with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the chicken to the water and bring back up to a boil. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the chicken breasts and set on a plate to cool. When cool enough to handle, shred the chicken breasts with a fork.
Microwave the rice according to package directions.
In a large bowl, mix the soup, yogurt, milk, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken, broccoli, rice and ½ cup of the cheddar. Use a large spoon to stir and combine, making sure the soup mixture evenly coats all of the ingredients.
Transfer the chicken and rice mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining ½ cup cheddar and the panko.
Bake uncovered until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through, about 20 minutes.
Per Serving: (1½ cups)