I was asked to curate the wine for the annual Christmas cow. Yes, the traditional Arrigo stuffing was handcrafted. Yes, the cows were the Pittsburgh Highlander breed, raised in Westmoreland County, PA on a diet of grass and not feed.
Since I’ll be somewhere else that day, I thought I’d try to spread some magic by suggesting a specific cocktail to get the holiday off before the meal and the wine pairing.
This has all the colours of Christmas and all the Magic of the magic kingdom.
Festive Cocktail named after the Mouse Ryan caught. Ryan is in charge of making this for anybody that would like a taste of warm and holiday.
Here’s what we need to pick up, just a small bottle of all of the following as only a few ounces are needed of each:
- Cherry Vodka
- Passion Fruit Rum
- Pina Colada Mix
- Black sanding sugar
- Simple syrup
SO what do we drink with the awesome red meat to enhance the flavor?
- Cabernet Sauvignon – Pick two bottles based on what your wine and spirits store has in stock. Here are a few suggestions.
- The Dreaming Tree Cabernet Sauvignon …..
- Layer Cake Cabernet Sauvignon
- William Hill Cabernet Sauvignon North Coast..
- Merlot – Pick just one bottle.
- Cupcake Vineyards Merlot Central Coast
- Simi Merlot
- Malbec – Pick one again based on what’s at your store.
- The Federalist Honest Red Blend
- Kendall Jackson VR Summation Red
- Clayhouse Vineyard Malbec Paso Robles
- Chardonnay – You may want to pick up just two bottles and have these chilled.
- La Crema Chardonnay Monterey
- Bogle Vineyards Chardonnay
- Sterling Vineyards Chardonnay